Black seed oil is an ancient Egyptian oil that has many health and beauty benefits. It is rich in nutrients, antioxidants and other compounds that have great medicinal properties.
Black seed, botanically known as Nigella sativa is an annual flowering plant with finely divided leaves. Its delicate flowers usually appear white, yellow, pink, pale blue or purple in colour.
Black seeds have been used traditionally to treat a variety of conditions including asthma, bronchitis, and rheumatism. A tincture prepared from the seeds is useful in treating indigestion, appetite loss, diarrhoea, skin conditions and painful periods. Modern science has additionally shown that black seed oil is useful for treating diabetes, cancer, hypertension, stomach ulcer and many other cardiovascular diseases.
The medicinal benefits of black seeds are vast and interesting, but this article will focus on its benefits in beauty.
The benefits of black seed oil for hair and skin care
- Enhances hair growth: Black seed oil is rich in iron and vitamin A, nutrients that are important for healthy hair growth. The oil is known to thicken the hair, and increase the speed at which the hair grows. Tip: Add black seed oil to your pre-poo treatment or massage your scalp with it to enjoy its benefits.
- Conditions the hair and skin: Black seed oil is rich in lubricating, essential fatty acids such as linoleic and oleic acid. These fatty acids are very moisturising and softening to the hair and skin. Oleic and linoleic acid promote skin regeneration, and deficiencies in them can lead to hair loss and dry skin conditions. Tip: Add the oil to your body oil blends to enjoy its benefits.
- Protects against hair loss: The oil is rich in iron, a mineral important for hair growth. Tip: Massage your scalp with the oil to enjoy its benefits
- Fights wrinkles: Black seed oil is a rich source of antioxidants that help to fight damaging free radicals. These antioxidants protect the skin from premature ageing.
- Treats dry skin conditions: Black seed oil is particularly useful for treating dry skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema. It contains many anti-inflammatory compounds that help to soothe the skin.
You can also buy black seed oil online via Jumia.